Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! As we do every year on this special day, we reflect on some of the lessons that the good doctor taught us, and how we can incorporate them into our everyday social media life.
Here are some great Dr. Seuss quotes gathered by our creative social media writer Laura Cunningham. Which one is your favorite?
1. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is you-er than you.”
Be yourself. The Internet may seem like a great place to play a part, exaggerate, and bend the truth, but in the end it will do more harm than good. Be genuine and true. Don’t try to be anyone else – you’re already unique! Let your personality shine!
And be consistent as you brand yourself across your social media platforms. This will help people recognize YOU!
2. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
At GhostTweeting.com, we often hear people say, “I only want to connect with people who have more than X followers.” That’s actually a mistake. Not only does every connection count, but people with the least amount of connections will often be your most loyal fans – turning into paying clients!
3. “I meant what I said and I said what I meant.”
Never say anything on social media that you wouldn’t defend in person. Be true and genuine to your beliefs, and be consistent across all of your social media platforms. This will engender trust among your followers.
4. “So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
See also: “Brevity is the soul of wit.” This is a great tip – especially for Twitter users. Keep it short and to the point. Your readers will thank you.
5. “From there to here and here to there, funny things are everywhere.”
Maybe you worry that you’ll never be a social media guru like the ones you follow, who are always current and trendy, with something witty to say. But remember, there’s always something entertaining out there to comment on! Somewhere in the rough, your diamond is waiting to be polished.
6. “Step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s a great balancing act.”
Tact is extremely important when dealing with a slew of followers whose backgrounds and opinions you are not privy to. Remember that your tone is not always inferred correctly online, so be extra kind with your words. And unless your career is in politics or religion, or your brand is all about controversy, try to stay away from contentious topics. You risk accidentally insulting or alienating your followers.
7. “If you keep your eyes open enough, oh, the stuff you will learn! The most wonderful stuff!”
Social media can be a treasure trove of information. You only need to learn where to look.
- Follow people and businesses that are experts in their field – they can pass on invaluable information.
- Connect with your clients and LISTEN!
- Join discussions and groups. Engage, and “oh, the stuff you will learn! The most wonderful stuff!”
8. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Overwhelmed? Social media can seem daunting and unclear. But if you need help, all you have to do is ask. Most of your social media connections will be glad to help. The easiest answer to succeeding on Social Media without any overwhelm? Ghost Tweeting! The answer is often simpler than you think.
9. “Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Those are some good odds! The great thing about social media is that if you try and try and try some more, there’s almost no way you can fail. 98 & 3/4% guaranteed! And as our CEO Nika Stewart says, success is simple: All you need to do is work your ass off every day, and never give up.
10. “Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!”
What are you waiting for? It’s time to start doing! You’ll never get to the peak of your social media mountain if you spend all of your time at base camp. Start, and even if you struggle or stumble, you will eventually make it to the top (if you don’t give up!)